Conflict & Dispute Resolution
Watch the video and answer the questions that follow
- Why are the pilots and their union threatening to take industrial action against Qantas?
- What type of industrial action are the pilots thinking of taking?
- In order for the industrial action to be protected, what needs to happen?
- Explain the impact this industrial action could have on the Qantas stakeholders?
- Explain 2 ways this dispute could be resolved
Test Your Understanding
- Explain the difference between conciliation and arbitration (2 marks)
- Describe what a grievance procedure is and justify why it’s important for a large-scale organisation to have one (3 marks)
- Describe 2 types of industrial action employees can take against their employer (2 marks)
- Explain the difference between protected and unprotected industrial action (1 mark)
- What role does Fair Work Australia play in dispute resolution (1 mark)
- Differentiate between a strike and a lockout (1 mark)