In Outcome 1 we looked at Large Scale Organisations in general and the type of environment in which they operate. The business environments we looked at were the internal and external environments. Outcome 2 looks at the Internal Environment of a large scale organisation. After this outcome you will have an in-depth understanding of the Internal Environment and how to manage this area of the business.
Video 1 – Functional Structure
Video 2 – Divisional Structure
Video 3 – Matrix Structure
- Take the students around your school and show them the different levels of leadership. As you walk around the school and point out the different job roles in your school get the students to write them down. After you have shown them all the key roles get them to attempt to draw the structure. This will most likely be difficult with many different lines of communication.
Even though most schools are not large in the sense that they often have less than 200 employees the structure is complex. Talk to students about any communication difficulties at your school and if this is a possible result of a complex structure.
2. Complete the following table. Click on the image to enlarge. The sections marked with an X do not need to be filled out as they are simply duplicates of other boxes. If you have done different structures simply change them in the table.
Test Your Knowledge
- Explain the purpose of an organisational structure (2 marks)
- Identify 3 management structures and explain the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Compare the functional and matrix management structures.
- 2012 Exam, Question 2a….Click Here